Saturday, October 24, 2009

NFJS Conference Atlanta 2010 - Day 1

Today was the first day of the NFJS conference here in Atlanta. It's my third time and it is always a great experience in terms of sessions but it is also a good opportunity to network.

First I went to two sessions of Venkat Subramaniam: "Effective Java" and "Programming Scala", both excellent sessions. I get the feeling, it is really time to look beyond Java, particularly if you do anything around concurrency. Not sure if Scala will be it, there seemed to be some contention in the crowd regarding Scala's more cryptic syntax. Although, it looked manageable in my opinion. Nevertheless, I need to check out the Clojure talk tomorrow.

The third session I attended was "Transaction Pitfalls and Strategies" by Mark Richards. At first I was a bit hesitant attending the session but I was glad I did. A related article can be found at IBM DeveloperWorks. The presentation contained some really good stuff.

The first day ended with a very good keynote by Ted Neward on Iconoclasm. Oh well, it is 1am already...better get some sleep for day two of the conference.

No comments: